For those with more than moderate hearing loss, even an extra loud alarm clock’s beeping won’t stir you from your slumber. There’s nothing more stressful than waking up, checking the time, and the sinking feeling of realizing you’re late for an important appointment.
You’ve got places to be, and you need an alarm that can get through to you.
That’s why these alternative alarms have been developed: to use other avenues than sound to get your attention. Some people without severe hearing loss even use silent vibrating alarms to avoid waking their partner, and some heavy sleepers with difficulty waking also opt for shakers.
How does a vibrating alarm clock work?
Whereas standard alarm clocks beep, vibrating alarm clocks, or bed-shaking alarm clocks, vibrate your pillow if you’re a very deep sleeper (or go under your mattress or bedsheet, or even on your wrist if you have a wristband vibrating alarm) to wake you.
The vibration isn’t so strong that you’ll be rocked out of bed, but it’s strong enough to cut through your sweet dreams and jolt you awake.
These alarms usually also come with extra loud chimes and also act as a standard alarm clock, and some use bright lights to gradually wake you up in the morning, instead of vibrations.
Why Do You Need a Vibrating Alarm Clock? And Who Are They Designed For?
Vibrating alarms are designed for:
- The deaf and hard of hearing: severely hearing-impaired people may need vibration alarms via their wrist or pillow/bed to alert them, as sound will not suffice.
- Deep sleepers: may also benefit if they’re prone to sleeping through their alarm, though they may not require a vibrating alarm or bed shaker, but instead just an extra loud alarm clock.
What To Look For In a Vibrating Alarm Clock
Multiple alarm options
If you’re an extremely heavy sleeper or struggle to be woken due to your hearing impairment and are worried the bed shaker won’t wake you either, it is useful to have an alarm with multiple options.
These dual alarm clocks use a combination of vibrations, extra loud beeps, and sometimes also light to ensure you are woken from your deep sleep.
We have recommended both the best extra loud and vibrating alarm clocks, and the best wrist alarm clocks.
Trusted brand & long warranty
Our vibrating alarm clock reviews focus on products we trust: from brands known in the space such as Sonic Alert for making effective and powerful bed shaker alarms.
The top brands offer long warranties, so you can trust you won’t need to replace your vibrating alarm clocks often. We avoided products that don’t have replaceable bulbs and short warranties.
Versatility and adjustable settings
Though with their loud alarm volume and heavy vibration, these may seem a more militant way to wake up in the morning, the best alarm clocks for the hard of hearing can be adjusted so it’s not too much of a shock when you’re woken up.
We recommend options with:
- Multiple vibration strength settings
- Adjustable volume control
- Multiple brightness settings
- Snooze time & button
Easy to use
The majority of the hearing impaired are older, and therefore the best vibrating alarm clock has large buttons to account for any dexterity issues with hands, and are easy to program and set without much tech know-how.
Vibrating Alarm Clock Reviews 2022: Best Bed Shakers & Wrist Alarm Clocks
We split our recommendations up into two categories: the best vibrating alarm clocks and bed shakers, and the best wrist alarm clocks.
Best Vibrating Alarm Clocks
Sonic Bomb – best vibrating alarm clock
- 𝗘𝘅𝘁𝗿𝗮 𝗟𝗼𝘂𝗱 𝗔𝗹𝗮𝗿𝗺 𝗖𝗹𝗼𝗰𝗸: Sonic Alert store brings the loudest alarm clock for kids of all ages. Our 113db extra loud sonic bomb alarm clock allows you to adjust the volume and snooze time of the alarm. In addition to these adjustments, the alarm clock features red flashing alert lights specifically designed for heavy sleepers. It doesn’t matter how much of a heavy sleeper you are; you’re never going to be late for your college lectures using the Sonic Bomb Alarm Clock.
- 𝗔𝗱𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝗔𝗹𝗮𝗿𝗺 𝗗𝘂𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 & 𝗦𝗻𝗼𝗼𝘇𝗲 𝗧𝗶𝗺𝗲: You can adjust the duration of the alarm for 1-59 minutes and snooze time between 1-30 minutes.
- 𝗩𝗶𝗯𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗨𝗻𝗶𝘁: Waking up early in the morning can be difficult. That’s why the Sonic Bomb alarm clock comes with a super shaker to jolt you out of your sleep within seconds. The super shaker is a bed vibrating unit that vibrates when this alarm clock goes off to ensure that you always wake up on time. It also has three different modes: vibration, buzz, or vibrate/buzz combo. Allowing you to choose the mode that best meets your needs.
- 𝗣𝗲𝗿𝗳𝗲𝗰𝘁 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗦𝘁𝘂𝗱𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘀: Do your kids struggle to wake up in the morning? Let Sonic Bomb wake your kids up so that you don’t have to! Regardless of your child’s age, this alarm clock for teen boys & girls is super loud and makes the perfect gift for high-school students, fresh graduates, and those who are going away for college that don’t want to miss their classes.
- 𝗦𝗼𝗻𝗶𝗰 𝗔𝗹𝗲𝗿𝘁: Sonic Alert is an award winning globally recognized leader in the international electronics field, that helps the deaf, hard to wake, and elderly communities across the world with their notification needs. As a trusted brand for over 40 years, we strive to provide cutting-edge products that support our mission to alert & notify users through electronic communications.
- Alarm type: extra loud alarm clock, bed shaker, flashing red lights
- Extra features: can wake up multiple people with separate wake up settings, and has backup battery power in case of power loss, snooze button with adjustable settings
- Warranty: 5 years
The Sonic Bomb alarm clock by Sonic Alert is our top recommendation if you’re hard of hearing, deaf, or just extremely heavy sleepers. It has been a top-selling vibrating clock for over 10 years, and is considered one of the loudest and most effective clocks around.
While it does look a bit radioactive, it’s very easy to set up: attach the bed shaker accessory, plug the alarm into your wall socket, and set the time with the clearly marked red buttons on the bottom of the alarm. You can set two alarms if you’re prone to falling back to sleep, or if you and your partner wake up at different times, you can set the AL1+2 option on the side for different alarms.
You can choose just the vibration function if that’s all you want, or the sound alarm – or both, if you feel you need them both. Three red flashing lights come on along with either of these settings, though these are mostly an accessory rather than acting as a light alarm.
The dials on the side of the alarm adjust the pitch and loudness, and they’re easy to change dynamically. The snooze function button is easy to hit (perhaps it should be more difficult for us lazy sleepers!) and by default lasts 5 minutes, but can be adjusted to up to 30 minutes.
Put the bed shaker under your pillow if you’re a very deep sleeper, but you can also put it under your mattress or sheet if you don’t want it to feel as in your face.
Overall, for the price, it’s our top pick for the best vibrating alarm clocks for deep sleepers or the hard of hearing.
Sonic Alert SB1000SS Boom Alarm Clock with Bed Shaker
- 113 dB extra-loud alarm clock (with adjustable tone & volume control)
- Built-in receiver for other Sonic Alert signalers
- SS12VW Super Shaker bed vibrating unit
- 120V Lamp connection input
- User select-able alarm and snooze duration
- Alarm type: extra loud 113dB alarm clock, bed shaker, flashing lights
- Extra features: backup battery power, snooze button, adjustable settings, customizable combination of sound, light and vibration
- Warranty: 5 years
With a maximum noise of 113dB, even those with moderate to severe hearing loss will have little trouble hearing the Sonic Boom alarm clock, and even if this loud sound doesn’t work on its own, it comes with Sonic Alert’s Super Shaker to vibrate your pillow or mattress too.
It comes with an attachable bed shaking add-on, and both the volume of the sound, and the type of vibration (between steady and pulse) can be adjusted based on your preferences.
As with all Sonic Alert products it’s reliable, with a 5-year warranty, and the large LED screen lights are ideal for seniors to easily check to see what the time is in the morning.
It’s a more premium version of the Sonic Bomb, but with the ability to make such loud beeping alarm noises, and with enough power to literally shake the entire bed, it’s a great pick if you’re willing to spend the extra money.
Roxicosly Extra Loud Alarm Clock with Bed Shaker for the Hearing Impaired & Deaf
- ⏰【Wake by 𝗦𝘁𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝗕𝗲𝗱 𝗦𝗵𝗮𝗸𝗲𝗿 & 𝗟𝗼𝘂𝗱 𝗕𝘂𝘇𝘇𝗲𝗿】- Differ from regular alarm sound clock, our 𝗹𝗼𝘂𝗱 𝗮𝗹𝗮𝗿𝗺 𝗰𝗹𝗼𝗰𝗸 comes with 3 innovative alarm methods: loud buzzer, super bed shaker or both sound and shaker, actually make it easier to wake you up from deep sleep. Simply press the “BUZZ/VIB” button to choose your favorite wake-up modes for maximum impact. The bed shaker alarm clock is also a perfect option for heavy sleepers, hearing impaired, deaf or hearing loss.
- 🔊【Strong Wired Vibration Shaker & Adjustable Volume】- The 𝘃𝗶𝗯𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗹𝗮𝗿𝗺 𝗰𝗹𝗼𝗰𝗸 features with 71” wired bed shaker which is long enough to be placed under the mattress. It can produce a strong vibration to shake you awake without disturbing others. The alarm sound volume is 4-level adjustable to meet your different needs. Combing the highest volume level and powerful bed shaker, you can be reliably waken up on time even for heavy sleeper.
- 😴【Dual Alarm Clock & Big Snooze Function】-The 𝗱𝘂𝗮𝗹 𝗮𝗹𝗮𝗿𝗺 𝗰𝗹𝗼𝗰𝗸 allows you to set two separated alarms easily especially handy for couples or roommates who keep different schedules. When the alarm goes off, lightly touch the big snooze button to turn off temporarily and get extra 9 minutes sleep before alerting you again. You can also press the “ALARM PAUSE” or “ALARM OFF” to turn off the alarm for 24hours or permanently respectively.
- 🔅【7.5’’ Large Display & 5 levels Brightness Dimmer】-With 7.5’’ big LED display, the numbers on the 𝗯𝗲𝗱 𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗸𝗲𝗿 𝗮𝗹𝗮𝗿𝗺 𝗰𝗹𝗼𝗰𝗸 are ultra-clear to see from a long distance or across the bedroom even without glasses. 5 level adjustable screen brightness help you avoid high-intensity light while you are asleep or easily view the time in the daytime.
- 🔋【Electric Powered with Battery Backup】- All functions of the 𝗯𝗲𝗱𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗺 𝗮𝗹𝗮𝗿𝗺 𝗰𝗹𝗼𝗰𝗸 work under AC power (input power 100-240V), 2pcs AAA backup batteries (NOT Included) are only used to memorize time and alarm settings when encountering power outrage. During the backup battery, the screen will go blank but the alarm will still be triggered.
- Alarm type: loud beeping alarm & bed shaker
- Extra features: USB ports for charging your phone, backup battery power, snooze button, adjustable volume settings
- Warranty: 18 months
Perhaps the best cheap vibrating alarm clock, the Roxicosly clock comes with all the standard features: adjustable volume settings, the ability to combine vibration and sound together, and dual alarm clock settings.
But one important feature stands out: the phone charging USB port in the back. This is very convenient if you have limited plug sockets and want to charge your phone at night while keeping it next to you.
The 71″ long cable is useful, such as if your desk or table isn’t too near your bed. And the very large 7.5″ LED screen is probably the easiest to read the time on out of our chosen clocks, with 5 adjustable brightness settings.
Like the Sonic Bomb, it has battery backup power in case you lose power, using 2 AAA batteries, but only offering limited options during backup mode.
It’s a great low-cost alternative to the Sonic Bomb, with an easy-to-read screen, and can work well as an alarm clock for the hearing impaired.
Best Vibrating Wristband Best Shakers
Fitbit Charge 5 (with Smart Wake Vibrating Wristband Alarm)
- Optimize your workout routine with a Daily Readiness Score that reveals if you’re ready to exercise or should focus on recovery (Requires Fitbit Premium membership)
- Get a daily Stress Management Score showing your body’s response to stress and take steps to improve your levels with an on-wrist EDA sensor mindfulness session
- With the Health Metrics dashboard, track SpO2, heart rate variability, skin temperature variation and more (Not intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition and should not be relied on for any medical purposes. It is intended to provide information that can help you manage your well-being)
- See your real-time pace & distance without your phone using built-in GPS during outdoor activity, then see a map of your workout route in the Fitbit app
- Includes a 6-month Premium membership complete with personalized insights, advanced analytics, guided programs and more (New & returning Premium users only. Valid payment method required. Content and features may change)
You may already have a Fitbit for monitoring your exercise and other useful data, but not everyone knows that you can use these smart wearables as vibrating alarm clocks on your wrist.
While not as powerful as a wired bed shaker like the Sonic Bomb, this wireless bed shaker wearable uses its SmartWake alarm setting to vibrate the wristband and wake you. If you’re not too deep a sleeper, this should cover you, and if you already have a Fitbit, then you’ve basically got a vibrating alarm for free.
If not, while they’re more expensive than buying a vibrating alarm clock, they have so many other uses, and you might find the Fitbit Charge 5 – or any other Fitbit with SmartWake – a good investment. For more information on setting these alarms, click here.
Shake N Wake Pillow Bed Shaker
- NEW AND IMPROVED MODEL Those sharing a space with a sleeping partner will no longer have to worry about waking them when their alarm goes off, and those who are hard of hearing will no longer have to worry about sleeping through their alarms
- VERSATILE USAGE This Silent alarm wristband watch can be worn on the wrist or even placed beneath the pillow to wake you up in the way that is most comfortable for you. Its lightweight design is comfortable for sleeping in without irritation
- DUAL ALARM CLOCK Allows you to set 2 Different alarms at the same time with Both Alarm Time Settings showing on the main screen, with Snooze feature.
- VIBRATING/ BEEP This vibrating alarm clock is simple to set and use, with easy control that allows you to switch between a vibrating alarm and an audible alarm
- EASY TO READ SCREEN WITH BACKLIGHT Not only does this silent alarm clock wake you up, it can also remind you of various tasks you need to complete, such as medication reminders and appointment reminders, by vibrating. Requires 1 AAA battery (not included)
Whereas the Fitbit is a smart wearable that also functions as a wireless shaker attached to your wrist, the Shake N Wake is specially designed to shake you awake.
Your partner will be grateful when they aren’t woken by your silent alarm, as the attached alarm wristband is powerful enough to wake you, but silent to anybody else. You can even use the dual alarm function if you need multiple alarms set.
There are beep options if you need sound, and you can use it under your pillow, but it’s designed to go on your wrist. The screen is clear and easy to use, the snooze button is easy to tap if you need a few more minutes, and overall it’s one of the best vibrating alarm clocks for the deaf and hearing impaired, as you won’t need to rely on sound at all.
Vibrating & Hearing Impaired Alarm Clock FAQs
We have other guides to products to help if you are hard of hearing:
- The best doorbells for the hard of hearing
- Best hearing amplifiers
- Best phones for the hearing impaired
Last update on 2022-09-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API